Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Stamp Out Cancer

The past week over at StampTV, Gina K., the Design Team and Guest Designers, held a series of challenges to kick off the month of October as breast cancer awareness month. Each day they posted a challenge with a theme, color or sketch to follow. It was an inspiring experience for me. It was an opportunity to show solidarity and to think of how cancer has touched so many lives. What a wonderful yet simple way to give support and encouragement to someone who's fighting cancer.

Here's the breakdown of the challenges:
Day 1 - Comforts
Day 2 - Pretty in Pink
Day 3 - Just a word
Day 4 - Anything But a Card
Day 5 - Glitter
Day 6 - Sketch
Day 7 - No rectangles or Squares
Day 8 - Many Colors


Day 1 - I thought of a patchwork quilt and crochet blanket for comfort. Products used: Fresh Asparagus and Innocent pink cardstock. Stamps: Close Knit Friends and Arranged with Love. Petals & Wings design paper.



Day 2 - Pretty in Pink. I colored the flower from Stately Flowers 7 with water color pencils and did some fussy cutting. I just love the sentiment, it's a sweet reminder that we need to choose hope to face all kinds of difficulties in our lives.


Day 3 - Just a word - I chose friendship which is found in the sentiment from Whimsical Wishes.  I used the Fabulous Frame and Fabulous Frame Fillers stamped with Memento Rose Bud. It goes so well with the Innocent Pink cardstock. The butterfly is heat embossed on vellum.



Day 4 - Anything But a Card (ABC) - Here's a cute Post-it Note holder. The beautiful pattern paper is from the Garden Tour pack. The sentiment is from the Fabulous Frame stamp set. I'm thrilled to say that I won this challenge. Yay!!



Day 5 - Glitter - For the ribbon I used glitter cardstock and cut it with my Silhouette, the green belly band is also glitter cardstock.



Day 6 - Sketch - I used the gorgeous Wild Orchid cardstock, Garden Tour pattern paper, flower from the Fabulous Frame stamp set, colored with Spectrum Noir markers (DR3, PP5, PP3).


Day 7 - No Rectangles or Squares - I used Spellbinder's Floral Ovals to die cut two pieces and attached them with the pink ribbon, Garden Tour pattern paper and the rose from Stately Flowers 6.


Day 8 - This last challenge hit home. We were to make a card using ribbon colors for cancer other than breast cancer. The green ribbon is for Kidney Cancer, this one's for my Dad who is a kidney cancer survivor. The orange ribbon is for Leukemia, my mother-in-law died from this cancer. The jade ribbon is for Liver Cancer, I lost a brother to this disease. The sad truth is that there are many, many awareness ribbon colors. Here's the Wikipedia Awareness Ribbon Colors where you can look them up if you wish.

I'd like to thank Gina K. and her Design Team and Guest Designers for organizing such a wonderful event. As I made each card I'd say a prayer for those suffering and fighting cancer, to the warriors who've survived their bout and for the families that have lost loved ones. I hope and pray that someday soon a cure will be found.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Until my next post, hugs and blessings.







2 comments:

  1. They are all gorgeous. You took part in all the challenges. Good for you. I was working with limited time so did only four of them. But it was great fun and a great cause to craft lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one.